3.20.2009

Me vs. The Smock Apron, Part 2

I altered that pattern according to the plan and cut my expensive fabric (not that expensive, but I usually scavenge fabric from the goodwill or the dollar table). I sewed the ties and put them into the darts, added the pocket with rick rack, pressed up the hem for the back and sewed the sides up using french seams. Then I started the flat felled seams for the shoulders, I just stitched the seam and before I "felled" them (???) I decided to try on the apron and that is where things got interesting. There is an abundance of fabric above the bust that makes the armhole gap and I don't like it!!!

So now I need to decide what to do next, I won't take out my nice french side seams to add a dart, so I have a few options. I can make a dart from the armhole, I can make a dart from the shoulder (but this will make the shoulder strap more narrow), I can re-cut the arm hole, add some gathers to the arm hole, or I can just leave it.

I am leaning towards making a dart from the shoulder, but contemplating just ignoring it. Does anyone else have a good idea to fix this?

No comments: