11.30.2009

When Will I have Enough Fabric?

That is the million dollar question.  What exactly do I do with all this fabric besides hoard it?  I pet it and love it and make it into to lovely things, that’s what! 

I have a lot of reasons that keep me buying fabric and I don’t think that any 12 step program is going to help that, so what it boils down to is storage.  I need to see what I have so I can sew with it, I also need to be able to find that one piece that I know I have but can’t seem to find.  I searched the internet for “fabric organization” and there are oodles of different techniques.  I opted to fold using a template so that all of my folded fabrics would be the same size and fit into the designated storage cubes.

The instructions I found all used a quilting ruler, but I don’t have one, so I improvised with a cutting mat/ruler that I had.

Step 1:  Lay fabric on flat surface with selvage edge on one side (pictured on the right)  and folded edge on the other (pictured on the left), place your ruler/template on top of fabric near the cut edge.

folded fabric 1 Step 2:  Fold cut edge over ruler.

folded fabric 2Step 3:  Continue wrapping fabric neatly around ruler until you reach the end of the yardage.

folded fabric 3  Step 4:  Remove ruler and fold in half.folded fabric 4 Step 5:  Stack in storage cubes and enjoy the neatness.

folded fabricImagine how great this will be when all my fabric is folded and sorted by fiber content and color.  It’s going to take me a long time, but I will be worth it when it’s all done.  I’ll keep you guys posted. 

I am also working to get my craft room fully unpacked and arranged, it’s a total mess now and there are crafting supplies everywhere, but I can’t wait to get it finished, I hope everything fits.

Oh, and the answer to When? is never, I will never have enough fabric, although I am trying to scale it back a bit.

1 comment:

kelly o! said...

ahhhh, your freshly folded stash looks fabulous! Maybe this will inspire me to tidy up my sewing room (ha!) or at least make a stab at organizing my fabrics.