3.15.2010

Another Pattern Storage Idea

As you know I have some pattern storage boxes that are specially made for sewing patterns, I have three and my collection of patterns has grown beyond the amount of space they provide.  I have not been able to find more of these pattern boxes and if I remember correctly they were a bit pricey for what is basically a cardboard box with a lid.  Thankfully I have found the perfect solution! and it has been hiding with the office supplies.  I found hanging file portable storage boxes (1/2 size boxes) at OfficeMax.  They come in packs of 6 for around $12.00 and are just slightly larger that the patterns are.pattern storage ideaThe lids just flip up and they are already nice and white just waiting to be embellished.pattern storage idea detailHere you can see how well the patterns fit, they even work for some of my larger Vogue patterns.  I also have several pattern that have been altered and won’t fit back into their envelopes that are stored in plastic zipper bags and they fit nicely too.

Another great use for these boxes (if you have a few that aren’t holding patterns) is magazine storage.  I save all of my Threads magazines and they stand up nicely in the boxes and I can read the spines to easily find the issue I’m looking for.  They also keep everything dust and cat hair free, a big bonus at my house!

I’m waiting until I get some of the decorating done in my craft room before I decide how to embellish these boxes.  I’m really excited that all of my patterns now have a home and are organized by company and design number, now I just need to make an index.  It’s getting more organized here, one small project at a time.

8 comments:

lorrwill said...

This is brilliant! And way less expensive than the pattern storage boxes from the fabric stores.

Kristin said...

I was googling for storage ideas and I LOVE YOURS! I hope to find some of those boxes tomorrow at Office Max :)

R said...

Thnk you so much! I was looking for affordable storage boxes---and this is just the solution I need. I appreciate that you shared your idea. Thank you!

Angela said...

This post is still helping people out, two years later! Thanks! On the way to OfficeMax now ...

Crafterella said...

Yay, I'm so glad it's still helpful. I still have all my patterns in those boxes, but I have to confess I have not embellished/decorated them at all other than to make labels for them (http://www.crafterella.com/2011/08/organized-labeling-boxes.html).

LaStitches (Faith Pesson) said...

Wow! This is a great solution & like all before me said - so much cheaper than the boxes sold at fabric stores for this purpose. Can't wait to purchase some! Thanks!!

Ken said...

Anyone else looking for these they are:

[IN]PLACE Hanging File Desktop Storage Boxes.

http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/storage/file-storage-boxes/product-prod2840005?R=22117317

Thanks for the great storage tip!

Mi said...

Thanks for the product ID, Ken! And thanks Crafterella for the fantastic find and share! Ordering mine right now!