2.19.2009

Bucket Organizer Tutorial

I used 1/2" seam allowances one everything to make everything nice and even. I think that you could get by with 1 2/3 yards of fabric if you seamed together the scraps to cut the bottom circle or use another fabric, who's going to see the inside bottom anyway?Press the tops of all the pockets down 1/2" and stitch 1/4" from top.

Place crochet pocket and knitting pocket 3 1/2" from the bottom of outside lining (see drawing), sew at 3", press pockets up. Baste pockets to lining along sides. Sew lines from bottom of pockets to top about 1" apart, (I used the width of my ruler to mark the lines). Pull threads to inside, tie off and trim.

Turn sides under 1/2" press and sew 1/4" from edge. Turn bottom edge under 1/2" and sew/zigzag close to raw edge to for a casing.

Place 1 inside pocket 3 1/2" from bottom of inside lining, sew at 3", press pocket up. Align other pocket with bottom of inside lining, baste both pocket sides and bottom to lining. Sew dividing lines in pockets, I sewed a line in the center and then 1 line on the center of each half making 8 pockets.

On other inside lining sew elastic or ribbon to hold yarn caddies. Sew inside lining pieces together at sides.

Gather bottom edge of inside lining and pin to bottom circle adjusting gathers to fit, sew.

Gather top edge of outside pocket slightly (like easing a sleeve) pin to top of inside lining, butting edges together, sew, press seam toward inside liner. Put into bucket.

Thread string or yarn through casing on bottom of outside lining, pull tight and tie. Fill it up and you're done.

4 comments:

Salihan said...

Thanks for sharing the tutorial! I saw it on Craftster and hit on "this rocks" straightaway! I'm adding this to my to-do list. Have a great weekend!

Salihan
http://salihan.com

Unknown said...

What size bed-sheet did you use? Was it a flat sheet? I may be able to do this...I can get some good sized buckets at a local gas station :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Crafterella said...

Hi Monica, I used a full sheet with plenty left over, I know a twin sheet will do it. It could be fitted or flat and still work. The bucket I used was a 5 gallon one.

Leigh said...

I love this idea and will be making here this next weekend or soon after. I was wanting a bit more details on the sewing part. I am kinda new to sewing and the steps seem a bit confusing to me. Pictures of you making it step by step would be a great touch to this post.