10.15.2010

McCalls 5241 Pattern Review

This pattern has been at the top of my must sew list and with cooler temperatures on the way I wanted a quick, stylish cardigan to wear around. I thought it would also be great for breastfeeding, a jacket with a built in drape! The pattern is very simple and only has two pieces, but one of them is huge, so you'll need a lot of space for cutting. I used a rayon spandex knit from Joann's (I had a 50% off coupon). This is a one hour pattern, yeah right!, I wish they would just say it's easy and be done with it, what sort of speed sewer is making these patterns? and that can't possibly include cutting time!

I had read several other online reviews and they mentioned that the sleeve hole had stretched. I decided to stay stitch the holes before cutting them out and ended up with the opposite problem, sleeve holes that were too small. I eased the sleeves in by gathering the sleeve cap seam allowances, so putting the sleeves in was a little fiddly, but I got them in. M5241a That was the hard part of the pattern, hemming the edges was the most monotonous. I did decide to use a twin needle and I am sooooo glad I did! Using a twin needle is very easy and the results are so professional looking. It gave me two perfect lines of stitching with a small stretch that is just perfect for knits.M5241b I absolutely LOVE how this pattern turned out! I love it so much that I was to rush out and buy more fabric to make it in other colors. I would say it's a great addition to my wardrobe and the fiddly sleeves were so worth it! I was fairly easy to sew and I imagine that someone with a serger could really make one of these fast. I have seen this style of jacket in almost every brand of pattern and I also have see directions free online. I, of course, bought mine when it was on sale for a $1.00 and it was definitely a well spent dollar. I would also like to note that I made view C, the longest jacket, in size XXL and it is almost to big (I could take the back in at the center seam). The only thing that I may change the next time I make this pattern is the sleeve, I think I would like a snugger fit and maybe some extra length.

Have a super crafty weekend, see you next week!

No comments: