5.18.2009

The Big DIY

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was going to start working on the biggest DIY ever and today I would like to share a bit more about that.  A week ago we closed on our first house.  The house has been a rental house for years and the last tenant and her five children did a lot of damage to the home.  The majority of the problems are cosmetic, a bit of hard work and elbow grease and we should have a very nice house!wood flooor corner before

So, what have I been up to this weekend you ask, scrubbing floors, I think I have scrubbed all the floors at least five times.  The corner of floor pictured above has some sort of gooey crud on it, I spent a couple of hours scrubbing and scraping and ended up with a fairly clean corner of floor.wood flooor corner after

Almost the entire first floor has hardwood floors that all need to be refinished, but we just spent all of our money buying the house!  I discovered Rejuvenate Floor Reviver and it works fabulously!!!, if your floors are worn and no longer shinny this stuff is for you!  I also tried Orange Glo and while it did improve the surface of the floor, the Rejuvenate made a bigger impact and it can be used on many different types of floors.  diningroom damaged wallI have also been working on the walls, there are a lot of dents, dings, and some larger holes in the plaster (on the left beside the doorway the black marks, yes those are bicycle tracks!).  Patching plaster walls is interesting, but easy enough for a beginner, a nice lady at Home Depot helped me find everything I needed.  I am now getting excited about painting.panoramic livingroom

This is a panoramic shot of our living room and it shows why this house is so great, there are miles of beautiful wood work and somehow it has never been painted.  Those French doors lead to my future craft room, where I will be making curtains and slipcovers and other fun household stuff plus all the other crafty stuff I like to make.

Now I just need to decide what colors to paint everything!

4 comments:

Sandra @ Pepperberry & Co. said...

Wow!! What a huge job you have there :-0 I have no doubt it's going to be simply stunning!! I look forward to updates :-)

Sienna Starfish said...

Oh Crafterella

How exciting for you! I remember what it was like moving into my first home. Have fun making it truly yours!

What a gorgeous palette you have to start with. LOVE those floors and all that woodwork.

mieljolie said...

Ooo...love all the wood! Can't wait to see follow ups. Congrats on the new home!

Mieljolie

Crafterella said...

Thanks everyone, I've been so busy cleaning and it really is starting to make a difference.
I guess I should thank the previous tenant, she kept everything so messy and gross that the previous owners knocked the price for the house down $10,000!!!, so we really go a good deal.