6.30.2009

Watercolor Portraits

I found this tutorial on Craftster and thought that the possibilities were endless. This is my first attempt and I have to say it was really easy.watercolor portraits This is a super gift idea, I made these to coordinate with my Mother’s dining room.

Here’s what I learned:

* Masking fluid is similar to rubber cement, so you could substitute if you can’t get masking fluid.

* I bought a masking kit at Hobby Lobby that included masking fluid, an applicator, and a removing tool (rubber cement pick up square) for $15.99(-40% off coupon).

* Using tracing paper to trace the white spaces is a bad idea, the lines won’t come off (do this project during the day and hold it up to a window like to tutorial suggests!)

* Don’t make yourself crazy trying to get it perfect, it will be fine if it’s not.

* Allow plenty of time for your masking fluid to dry.

This project went really fast and I’m sure that it will be a super gift. The great thing is it’s super easy, so go get your supplies and make your own!

3 comments:

Brenbren said...

You can make your "own" light box really easily. If you have a table that has a left in it, pull the table apart, place a piece of glass over the gap, put a lamp underneath it and you can trace it that way! I do like this all the time! It's way easier than using the window!

Brenbren said...

and by left in it I mean LEAF!

Crafterella said...

That's a great idea, I'll have to give that a try, I never really liked the "window" method.