1.28.2011

Pattern Weights: Adapting What's on Hand

Now that I am a more experienced seamstress I have decided that I need some pattern weights. What really happened is I saw this pattern weight tutorial and decided that they were cute and I needed some. But hold on a minute, I don’t have any hex-nuts (I DO have some washers) and I think I would rather use paper, so here’s my take on pattern weights:

Your will need large washers, I used a variety of similar sizes, they are very inexpensive and you can buy them individually at Ace Hardware stores, some fun scrapbooking papers (these papers are left over from my holiday photo ornaments), glossy Mod Podge, scissors, an exacto knife, and a pencil.pattern weights 1 Trace around the washers on the back of the scrapbook paper and carefully cut out each circle. Make sure to cut inside the lines. I used an exacto knife to cut out the centers for a smoother look.pattern weights 2 Coat one side of you washer with Mod Podge and apply your paper circle. Smooth the circle down with your fingers, getting out all the lumps, bump, and bubbles. Brush a coat of Mod Podge on top of the paper and allow it to dry.pattern weights 3 Use the exacto knife to trim any excess paper from the edges and inside circle of the washer. Apply paper to the back of the washer in the same way and trim when dry. Once I had everything all trimmed up I added another coat of Mod Podge to completely seal the edges. Once everything is dry your spiffy new pattern weights are finished!pattern weights 4I need to make a holder, a wooden base with a dowel? I’ll have to think on it a bit. I’m off to get out some fabric and a pattern and start cutting, have a super crafty weekend!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a cute idea! I love it.

Amy said...

LOVE this!! I've been wanting some pattern weights bc I hate pinning patterns and it tears up the pattern! LOVE that paper...I"m a sucker for fleur de lis, being from New Orleans of course :)

You rock! Thanks for sharing!

c-ing said...

I think they'd make great pendants also. Maybe use one or 2 at a time so it wouldn't be so heavy. Mix in some of your paper beads or plastic beads.