10.03.2011

Inexpensive Mini Witch Hat Fascinator

I have been drooling over all of the stunning mini witch hats I’ve been seeing on etsy. I would LOVE to buy one, but it’s hard for me to justify spending a lot on something that I’m going to wear for an hour or two while the kids trick or treat. Today I’m going to share how I made my own inexpensive version (please note, the hats I am inspired by are a bit more advanced than this version).mini witch hat 3To make this project super easy you’ll need a base hat, I found mine in Hobby Lobby. mini witch hat 1 Check over by the safety eyes and dolls supplies, it’s a hat meant for a doll, Cost $2.99 (less if you use a coupon).
Supplies:
  • Doll sized felt witch hat
  • polyester satin, scrap
  • vintage buttons
  • a variety of other fabrics, scraps
  • water color paper and watercolor paint
  • a Sakura glaze pen
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • head band or elastic cord
  • coordinating ribbon
I made a variety of embellishments for my hat, I wanted a rich, layered look. mini witch hat 2 I made three fabric flowers (like these) from orange polyester satin, using vintage buttons for their centers. I used some metallic platinum colored fabric to make a gathered band, hand stitching it to gather it up.  I made a orange watercolor back ground, once it was dry I drew a design on it using the Sakura glaze pen and when that was dry, I washed over the whole thing with black watercolor for the center of a gather fabric rosette. I also picked a couple extra buttons to use.mini witch hat 5 Then I started hot gluing everything to the felt hat. The platinum band was glued first. I added a ribbon over the gathering stitches and the rosette with the paper center to cover the seams. The three fabric flowers were tucked in next to that and finally I added a ribbon bow and the extra buttons.mini witch hat 4 To finish I stitched the finished had to a head band. I really had fun making this project, I might have to make one or two more, they’re great for decorating too!
Linking with Terrorific Tuesday!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

It turned out cute! I saw some mini's at Walmart and thought they were a neat idea, I like making one better:@)

Crafterella said...

Thanks, it was a lot of fun to do. It's much cheaper and more personal too!

Leah said...

So cute, and I love little festive things like this - I like to get into Halloween but don't want to be the only adult in a full costume, so accessories are the way to go.