7.15.2009

Freezer Paper Stencils, Mini Tutorial

I am still embellishing my Crafty Chica bag and I decided that the lining needed a little something. I didn’t want to hand paint something that is only going to peek out when I’m digging around in the bag, so the answer was freezer paper stencil. I love this technique and it is sooooooooo easy!

Get a big roll of freezer paper from the store, mine cost about $9.00 at a “big box” store. (I know it seems pricey, but it is worth it and it was also a really large roll.) There are images everywhere that can be used for stenciling, for my bag I googled “nautical star stencil”. I cut my freezer paper to match the shape of my bag and then traced the star images where I wanted them, make sure you trace them on the matte side of the paper. Since my design was simple it only took about 10 minutes to cut everything out with an exacto knife. Using an iron fuse the freezer paper to you fabric, it’s easy, just place the shiny side down and press with you iron until the paper sticks to your fabric. Make sure your cut edges are stuck down good!

chica bag star stencil 1 I like to use a cosmetic sponge to stencil with. Dab it into you fabric and pounce it on to the fabric in an up and down motion. Don’t rub it around, just up and down. You can always go over an area again, so don’t slop the paint on, I can’t say this enough, just dab! Remember to put scrap paper under you fabric incase the paint soaks through.

Wait a few minutes for your paint to dry and then carefully peel off the freezer paper.chica bag star stencil 2This was what I was going for, but it still needed something, I know, glitter!chica bag star stencil 4 I used red dimensional glitter fabric paint to accent the lines of the stars and once the bag is finished and the edges are wrapped in red binding it will really pop.

I need to finish some outlining and cut out the pockets and bottom and then I will finally be ready to sew!

2 comments:

Christy said...

You are on FIRE, girl! Amazing.

Crafterella said...

Thanks Christy, I hope I don't run out of steam. Oh, and I can't keep ignoring my family, I have to finish this up soon!