2.04.2008

Book Review: Amulets Sacred Charms of Power and Protection by Sheila Paine

I bought this book because I am a visual person and every page is filled with images of amulets. This book inspires me to use my sketchbook to explore my own personal amulets, symbols and beliefs.
I like how this book is organized. It is easy to read about and see spefic symbols, materials, and colors. It also illustraits various cultures and beliefs. I enjoyed Ms. Paine's explainations and found her observations informative. It made me realize that many people have amulets, for example taxi drivers may hang a CD from their rear view mirror to divert the evil eye or even something as mundane as a wedding ring can be an amulet.
I would recommend this book as a reference tool for people interested in amulets and also people interested in cultural studies.

No comments: