3.16.2011

Andy Warhol Inspired Art for $3.88

I have had this idea floating around in my head for a while, but buying canvases was a little out of my budget.  When I saw the toilet boxes I knew they would be perfect.  I started by cutting the cardboard into 16” squares, my boxes were double layered so 2 squares equaled four layers of cardboard.toilet box 1aAfter all of my squares were cut I glued each set of two together and weighted them down overnight.toilet box 1b The next day I used paper mache paste to add strips of newspaper onto the cardboard squares,  horizontally on one side and after that dried, vertically on the other side.  Once they were mostly dry I layered them between plastic wrap, so they wouldn’t stick and weighted them to get them nice and flat.toilet box 1c I painted gesso on the fronts and sides and then it was time to do some sketching.toilet box 1dI used a photo of a trooper helmet (Star Wars) and was inspired by the style of Andy Warhol.  I used two shades of turquoise and two shades of orange acrylic craft paint to fill in my design.toilet box 1ePicture hangers will be hot glued to the backs for hanging, they are really light weight.  The only supply I bought was the paint, for $.97 each, the grand total for this project was $3.88, plus my time.  I have been working on this project exclusively since Saturday.  These will be perfect Little Sir’s wall, I wanted something fun and colorful that would last for a few years.  I have to get his room painted next, we’ll be using a light aqua with one orange accent wall.  He wanted all orange, but I thought it might be a bit much.
Not too bad for a toilet box, I have one more project to try with the remaining box, cardboard may be my new favorite medium!

3 comments:

mieljolie said...

Ahh...that's what the cardboard became! Great idea! I'm not a huge fan of Andy Warhol, but love the cardboard canvases!

Mieljolie

oobbles said...

OMG, I just saw this. You are too freaking amazing! How do you sleep at night with so much creative talent? Its redonk.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

That is fantastic!